Wednesday, May 28, 2008

ROCKET MAN.....

This morning was Angelo's rocket launch at school! His class has been working on rockets and studying space for awhile. Today was the big day where they had finally built their rockets, made a choice on an engine, packed their shutes and were ready for the great "BLAST OFF"! J&I both took some time off this morning to go and watch. The energy of the kids excitement was in the air! How fun for them! Angelo's first blast off was a failure at the launch pad - mission control had forgot to remove tape from the engine area and it hung up on the launch pad. I could see the disappointment as his rocket sat on the launch pad and didn't shoot in the air as the rockets prior to his. I thought he was going to cry standing their on the hillside.....it was sad! His teacher reassured him that he would have a relaunch and he did and the second time it flew out of sight! He got to retrieve from the field and amazingly, it is still intact and could probably be sent into "space" again! Way cool for the kid! It reminded me of my childhood and my brother and I riding our bikes to the local rocket store (yes there was a store that sold rockets and I know exactly where it used to be too) and picking rockets out and engines and taking them home and assembling them and shooting them off! Good Fun!

Anyhow, just being around all his class made me realize that my kid is no different than the rest of them - they are all wild, talking, running around, being kids! It seems for the past few months I was feeling like a failure because he has been in so much trouble at school it seemed! I was so frustrated not necessarily with him but with the whole entire WORLD and especially the school! I was tired of it! Today I got to see that the other kids are just like mine! Pushing each other, jumping on one another, performing for each other, screaming, yelling, running wild - all BUILT UP ENERGY! I haven't failed as a parent! My kid is "normal"! He is a good kid! He is the best kid because he is MINE!

4 comments:

Rachaell JeanBlanc said...

Sounds like a great day. I love this picture of you guys!

1funmommy said...

Words of Wisdom from Miss Brenda once again. Its hard to remember that ALL kids act like kids. I guess we just expect ours to be perfect. I love the pic of you guys. VERY CUTE!

MrsD said...

I had no idea you felt that you were failing as a parent. I will always have an ear for you ya know! Ang is so normal!

I think he's beyond really smart and some of his energy is that he needs more of a challange. When I was a nanny for a family with two girls the oldest was in the gifted student program and when she would get bored with "simple" stuff she could really act up.

Ang is a super kid and you and the J man should be beyond proud--and I know you are! You have done a super job with him! :)

MrsD said...

PS: I saved this picture of the three of you and I'm gonna print it at Costco and frame it.