Sunday, July 27, 2008

ROSIE was a NOT SO good sewing machine....



Rosie 2006 ~ 2008

If you have been keeping up with my posts you will know that I broke Rosie out of her box this past week and booted her up to prepare to make fleece hats for a service project for sorority. Bright and early Saturday morning we headed out of town to a cabin to sew for 5 hours. The thought of getting out of town for awhile to relax was great!

The problem arose early in the afternoon, sometime after lunch. I was zoom, zoom, zooming along with a straight stitch and KAbAM!!!, Amber screams which makes my heart skip a beat, there was a thread jam and my needle was torqued....ya, not so good! I spent about an hour trying to fix my machine only to find out the bobbin case was cracked - ya, these new fangled machines are GENUINE PLASTIC parts! So, I packed Rosie up and brought her on home. I was a little concerned about returning her because I had bought her in Hillsboro, OR in November of 2006 as the COSTCO MAN told me today....(uh ya....2006, and she has been in a box until last week - does that explain how much I sew?). Anyhow, they refunded my money in a genuine PLASTIC Costco gift card...which is fine...at least they refunded my moolah. I had done some researach last night on the net and for a new bobbin case it is between $40 and $50...that is 1/3 of what the machine cost - am I being stupid or does that seem like a lot for a replacement?

At any rate, Rosie was returned with a broken bobbin case...cracked and marred from the needle. We did get 29 hats sewed up and ready to donate along with 11 more cut out that Amber-dini is going to finish up with her Brother sewing machine...I figured yesterday - she and I both had Brothers and it probably averaged between the two of us with the machine problems we had - one machine running full time! She had her load of problems with her's too!

Anyhow, it was a fruitful day with lots of laughter and aside from the Amber scream which made my heart skip and Penny turning on the stereo which was on full blast but not on a station - so just imagine the sound that blasted out of the speakers! Penny screamed and sat down as fast as she could on the sofa - only to tell all of us later that this was the closest she has ever came to peeing her pants from being scared! The rest of us either screamed or jumped! Loads of funnnnn always with these girls!

OH and yaaaaaaaaaaa....IF ANYone out there has a good recommendation for a new machine can you send me your opinion....I am looking into getting a new one!

5 comments:

Rachaell JeanBlanc said...

Rest in Peace Rosie.

1funmommy said...

That was a bummer but it was still a lot of fun! I LOVE hangin with my sistas!

Bfun1 said...

I wanna a sewing machine though - I have projects I wanted to do!!! HO HUM!!!!

The Hussy Housewife said...

SOOO sorry to read. So you name things too?? I am not the only looney??

MrsD said...

My kitchen aide mixer is named Blake. :)